Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pumpernickle sandwich

I love to make this sauerkraut when I can talk my brother and his lovely wife into bringing us decent bratwursts. (All I can get in this town are generic 'brats' that are really just hot dogs in dress up.) After Jay challenged me to a week of sandwiches I decided to try slapping it on some bread. Ta-da! Oh my Gravy, this was delicious! Even though it was missing sort of a key ingredient. Namely the actual SAUERKRAUT! It was a hit anyway, but I was sad with each bite, knowing that I was missing that tart tangy flavor. Next time, next time.

Bratwurst and Sauerkraut on Pumpernickle

1 pound bratwursts
1 loaf of pumpernickle
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
1 apple*, cored and sliced.
16 oz. jar of sauerkraut, drained
3-4 tablespoons prepared whole grain mustard

Preheat the your grill/grill pan to medium.
Grill your bratwursts, about 4 minutes each side.
Remove from grill, let rest a few minutes, and slice lengthwise.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat the olive oil.
Sweat the onion and the cabbage.
When they get tender, add the apple and sauerkraut.
Add the mustard and toss to coat.
Salt and pepper (lots of pepper!) to taste.
Remove from heat.

Cut the pumpernickle in half lengthwise. (I like to sort of hollow out the bottom half of the bread to cradle the filling better, do you?)
Drizzle with olive oil and grill the pumpernickle until toasty.
Lay a healthy layer of sauerkraut to bottom half of loaf.
Top with bratwursts.
Cap off with the top of the loaf.
Enjoy!

*I prefer a green apple here, but you can use whatever is handy. I've used several varieties with no problem.

If anyone has any suggestions for a cheese to go on this sandwich, I'd be very interested to hear them. My family doesn't believe in sandwiches without cheese (sorta how they don't believe in pizza without sauce), but nothing really sounded right to me. They liked it anyway, but I could see the mistrust in their eyes.

P.S. I know I said I'd post the brownie recipe, but the awesome cherry-chocolate frozen yogurt I paired it with is just too awesome and deserves it's own post ;) Check back tomorrow!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: