Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

 

oatmeal cookies

I miss Costco. (There isn’t one in Maine.) I miss a lot of things from Costco, but chief among them are the oatmeal raisin cookies that you can get from their bakery. Oh. My. Gosh. Even people who loathe oatmeal raisin cookies will gobble up the ones from Costco. They are THAT good.

When I found this recipe on Epicurious I had high hopes. It had four forks, that looked promising! Of course, I had to ditch the dates and walnuts, I don’t like things cluttering up my oatmeal cookies. So I boosted the amount of raisins. When they came out of the oven, SUCCESS! They taste JUST like the ones from Costco, only better because they’re fresh (of course) and made from ingredients you can actually pronounce.

 

little hands

Hey, Kid! I’m trying to take a picture here!

The other thing I like about these cookies is that they have lasting power. As in, these last few cookies have been kicking around my cookie jar for over a week now and they are still perfect! Cookies don’t usually last long enough for me to test out their shelf life, but we were sick last week ;) This recipe makes a lot, so do yourself a favor and bake up a batch for this weekend!

 

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Adapted from Epicurious

 

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/4 cup Crisco room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3 cups old-fashioned oats

2 cups raisins

 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In your mixer, beat together the butter and Crisco.

Add the sugars and beat until fluffy.

Add the eggshoney and vanilla and beat until well combined.

Add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.

Stir in the oatmeal and raisins. Mix until well combined.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets.

Bake for 10 minutes, then let the cookies cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before removing them to a wire rack.

Clear the immediate vicinity of poaching toddlers (distract them with their own cookies!), pour yourself a nice, tall glass of milk and enjoy!

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oatmeal cookies are my favorite. And I'm so happy to see you blogging regularly again. Though my diet may not be as thrilled. ;)

Carol said...

We actually liked them with all the clutter stuff in them! Of course I'm sure they are good with just raisins. We haven't gotten to that yet! Oh, I LOVE the cute little hand!!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Wait, there are people who don't like oatmeal cookies!?

I did a shout out to you on my blog as an award.

kathleen said...

Hello

Good Day, i have been exploring the internet right now
trying to find a educational and informative and i found
your blog and the infomation you share is very good i just
wanted you to know that i really enjoyed you contents i'll
be back soon for more

-Kathy

Gerry Neumann said...

You don't have to miss Costco Oatmeal cookies any more. They are a thing of the past. Management discontinued them. I am so ticked.

The Travelling Tuffeteer said...

Hi love your blog and your recipes! Wondering why you call your blog Tuffet as I am The Traveeling Tuffeteer - feel free to google me to find out more! Would you like a reciprocal link and put a post up about my wool tuffets and I likewise for you??

All the best from Cornwall UK

Steve & Kris Merrill said...

Excellent cookie. On the second batch, I ground 1/2 cup of the oats into flour and added it in. I also added nutmeg and allspice. I will increase my amounts of spices. I feel they are still not as spiced up as Costco, but on the way.

Unknown said...

Made these cookies and they taste just like Costco cookies! Loved them! Thanks for creating them!!