Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Naughty and Nice

I love something that makes me feel virtuous and naughty at the same time. The candied pecans in here will make you swoon! And the oatmeal will keep you satiated until lunchtime, no need for snacking!

Oatmeal with Candied Pecans and Tart Cherries

This isn't the quickest breakfast, but it also doesn't require a lot of babysitting. It's a good one for a multi-tasker. This recipe is a nicer version I save for company or if I need a little breakfast indulgence. My usual go to add-ins are toasted walnuts and a ton of raisins. It doesn't need much sugar when I do it that way. Maybe one tablespoon for the whole pot. Usually when I make this I pop a tray of nuts in the oven and get the water boiling. I stay in the kitchen while the nuts are toasting and stir the oatmeal every so often. I get my coffee made and the kitchen cleaned. After the nuts come out I have plenty of time to get myself dressed before the oatmeal is done. See? User-friendly! Heart healthy and cholesterol-lowering too.

Oatmeal with Candied Pecans and Tart Cherries

1 cup steel-cut oatmeal
3 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup pecans
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup of tart cherries

Bring the water to boil in medium pot.
Add the oatmeal and a pinch of salt and reduce heat to medium.
Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cherries towards the end.
In a small skillet, melt the butter.
Stir in brown sugar.
Add the nuts and cook a few minutes, until the mixture darkens a bit.
Pour onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
When the sugar has hardened break the pecans into bits and toss the whole thing into the oatmeal.
Stir to incorporate and serve warm.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Mmm, I think I can smell it! You've been holding out on me, with candied pecans! Yum!