Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Josh's Chocolate Torte

Yep, I'm going to be obnoxious about this! The voting for Iron Cupcake:Summer Berries is open! My two cupcakes (Strawberry Balsamic and Alien Blueberry) are about half way down the page. The voting box is on the right hand side of the page. I will love you forever if you click here and go vote for me!!!

This is my friend's son, Josh. He wanted to make a fancy dessert and she's got her hands full with 4 more kids, so she sent him over to me! He brought a recipe for Chocolate Torte that he'd found online. (no source, sorry.) An hour later he had a super impressive dessert that he made 100% himself!



This is Josh!

Making a crushed biscotti crust.



Weighing chocolate for the ganache.
Working the double boiler!

Making a caramel!

Caramel sauce ready to go.

Do you see the 'J'?

What do you mean you're 'taking it home'?

Josh's Chocolate Torte

Crust: 9 oz chocolate biscotti
2/3 cup of pecans
1 stick butter, melted

Ganache: 2 pounds semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
1 stick butter
1 cup heavy cream

Caramel: 1 stick butter
1 pound sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350.
Place cookies and nuts in the bowl of a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs.
Pour into a medium bowl and slowly mix in butter until you have a mixture that holds it shape when you pinch it.
Press mixture into a 9 inch springform pan.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt the butter.
Add the chocolate and melt.
Swirl in the heavy cream and stir slowly until blended and smooth.
Pour into the prepared crust and refridgerate for four hours.
Just before serving, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add sugar and stir until mixture darkens into a rich caramel color.
Add the cream (watch out for splatter) and stir briskly until blended and smooth.
Strain if necessary.
Drizzle over chilled tart.
Enjoy!


I've got some more biscotti and a bunch of chocolate that needs to get used up before it expires, (Sacrilege, I know!) so I'll be making one myself soon and let you know how it turns out. Carrie said that Josh's torte was wonderful!

P.S. Did you vote?

P.P.S. I'm going to forward any comments on to Josh, so please leave him some love!!!



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

oneordinaryday said...

Go, Josh! You could "iron chef" with the best of them!!

Anonymous said...

Wow--awesome job Josh! That looks SO good, I love the "J" in it too. If I knew what a chef you were I would have put you to work while you were here. So come back soon and you can cook in my kitchen. :) We love you so much!

~Aunt Kimber (& Co.)