Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Are You Drooling Yet? Here, Let Me Find You a Napkin. . .


This was a Baking Beauties assignment that they did before I joined. And since I joined because I wanted to try more of the recipes in that wonderful baking book I decided to go ahead and make it anyway. The one issue I have with this recipe is that it is made in a loaf pan. Which says 'quick bread' to me. And quick bread is a breakfast food, right? So, now, Julia has me eating a CAKE masquerading as a quick bread for breakfast! Maybe 'inhaling' is a more accurate word. This is a absolutely wonderful recipe and would be a stunner of a breakfast to serve to house guests. (Because it's really cake! Haha!)






Lemon Loaf Cake
Adapted from Baking with Julia

4 eggs, room temperature

1 1/3 cups of sugar

pinch of salt
zest of 3 large lemons

1 3/4 cups cake flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature

5 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature


Preheat the oven to
350 degrees. Prepare a loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the
eggs, sugar, and salt for just a minute, until foamy.
Whisk in the
zest.
Sift together the
flour and baking powder.
Whisk a third into the lemon mixture until incorporated.
Whisk in another third until incorporated.

Whisk in the last of the flour.

Whisk in the cream.
Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the
melted butter.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan.

Bake for
50-60 minutes.
Let rest in the loaf pan for
10 minutes before unmolding.

I garnished it with about a cup of sliced strawberries macerated in a teaspoon or two of sugar. And I topped it with a 1/4 cup of softened butter, a teaspoon of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of chopped basil.



And now for the Works for me Wednesday portion of our show my post. What to do with those leftover lemons! I only used one for the lemon juice which left me with two naked lemons left over. The first one went into my favorite marinade. The second one I used for cleaning my cutting board. I bought this little lovely at a thrift store for 7 bucks, and the poor thing had never been used! It's a little battle-scarred now, but I try to take good care of it. I clean it with a lemon and kosher salt and soothe it with olive oil.

Place the cutting board in the sink. (Catches all the mess.)

Wipe the board down with a very wet cloth.

Sprinkle all over with kosher salt.

Cut a lemon in half and use it to scrub the whole board down.

Don't forget the edges and sides!

Wipe the salt off with a damp cloth.

Drizzle with olive oil.

Rub the oil in with a paper towel. (Don't forget edges and sides!)
Stand on side to help prevent any warping.

All done!

Cut up the lemon and run it through your garbage disposal to freshen it.

Kosher salt and lemons work for me! Head on over to We Are That Family to see what works for everyone else!

No comments: