Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER!!!

chocolate chippers

I saw these cookies on Bake at 350 and couldn’t wait to make them. Well, actually, I could. The way Bridget raved about them made me really want to hold out until I could get my hands on some decent chocolate and some sea salt. I was going to be making a trip to Seattle shortly, so I held off until then. When I got back I went into the kitchen to make them and remembered that they needed to spend a day in the fridge before you bake them. DARN IT! I had soooooo been craving them! So I made the dough anyway (a good portion of it never actually made it to the oven) and the next day, before I’d even started breakfast, got them into the oven.

They were worth the wait. Seriously. I now feel like I want to sprinkle salt over every cookie I ever bake again. YUM!!!! So, you can’t have these today, but if you get up right now and make the dough you can eat them for breakfast tomorrow, just like me!

By the way, Orangette (Sorry, don’t know her actual name!) recommends using your kitchen scale to make these, and so do I!!! With the odd amounts involved, my scale made putting this recipe together a breeze. Also, you’ve got to go check out all the recipe’s on Orangette’s site. She’s awesome! Everything I’ve tried of hers turns out beautifully!!!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from Orangette

2 cups minus 2 Tbsp. (8 ½ oz.) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 ½ oz.) bread flour

1 ¼ tsp. baking soda

1 ½ tsp. baking powder

1 ½ tsp. kosher salt

2 ½ sticks (10 oz.) unsalted butter, softened

1 ¼ cups (10 oz.) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. (8 oz.) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks, preferably about 60% cacao content, such as Ghirardelli

Sea salt, for sprinkling

 

Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk well; then set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until very light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Mix in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.

Reduce the mixer speed to low; then add dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.

Add the chocolate chips, and mix briefly to incorporate.

Press plastic wrap against the dough, and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. The dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the bowl of dough from the refrigerator, and allow it to soften slightly. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.

Scoop rounded tablespoonsful of dough onto the baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.

Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, and bake until golden brown but still soft, 10-15 minutes.

Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies onto the rack to cool a bit more.

Repeat with remaining dough.

3 comments:

oneordinaryday said...

I love the recipes at Orangette too, and if you haven't read her book, you would love it. (Her name is Molly, btw.) These cookies look divine and I love adding sea salt to just about any baked good, so they're right up my alley!

Carol said...

I love your write up! Mmm, sounds yummy!

Jennie said...

I didn't realize she had a book out! I'm putting that on my wish list right now! Thanks for the heads up :)

Oooh, I forgot to mention, I used Sel de Mer and it was out of this world! The last time I made them I used regular sea salt and they were great too, but if you have Sel de Mer I think that's the way to go!