Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Buttermilk Pancakes with Raspberries

This is my favorite pancake recipe. I like my pancakes to have some substance to them. Not those thin little wisps of pancake that you get from a mix. If I want a wispy pancake I'll make myself some crepes, thank-you-very-much. I found this recipe in I'm Just Here For More Food, by Alton Brown.

Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk and butter.
Pour egg mixture on top of flour mixture and stir until it just comes together.
Let the batter rest for 5 minutes while you heat your skillet(s) over medium heat.
Pour about 1/2 cup of batter onto skillet and wait for batter to bubble and the bottom of the pancake to become golden.
Flip and cook another 2 minutes.


If you don't have buttermilk you can sour some regular milk to use in it's place. Just warm your milk for about 25 seconds in the microwave and add 1 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice per cup of milk. Let it sit on the counter while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

Lately I've upgraded from buying the pint of buttermilk to buying it by the quart! I have yet to run across a baked good that isn't improved by replacing the milk with buttermilk. It's like a magic potion for baking!

Raspberries are best eaten off the fingers!

No comments: